Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stop Asian Hate

Hybrid View

US$51,000 for Atlanta shooting victims families

Steph Curry’s Bruce Lee NBA-worn shoes raise US$51,000 for Atlanta shooting victims families
    Auction ends for footwear worn against Atlanta Hawks featuring images and quote from Hong Kong-born martial arts superstar
    Two-time MVP and Bruce Lee Foundation promise proceeds to families of victims of Atlanta-area spa shootings
    Topic |
    NBA (National Basketball Association)
    Jonathan White

Published: 1:54pm, 23 May, 2021

Golden State Warriors guard Stephen Curry smiles after shooting a basket over Los Angeles Lakers forward LeBron James in the NBA. Curry’s game worn shoes featuring Bruce Lee imagery have raised more than US$50,000. Photo: Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA Today Sports
    NBA star Steph Curry’s gameworn Bruce Lee-customised shoes have raised more than US$50,000 for the families of the victims of the Atlanta spa shootings.
    Curry wore the shoes to show solidarity with the Asian community in the Golden State Warriors game against the Atlanta Hawks in Atlanta on April 4, three weeks after the shootings on March 16 where eight people, including six women of Asian descent, were killed by a white gunman.
    “This is a significant opportunity to raise some money. We’re gonna auction them off,” Curry said after that game, after being praised for showing solidarity with Asian-Americans amid rising violence and racism in the US.
    “Obviously stopping Asian hate is huge across the country and across this world but here the shoes are a very small way to hopefully raise money for that work and that cause and, you know, raise awareness,” he added.

Curry worked with the Bruce Lee Foundation on the project, which saw his signature Under Armour Curry 8 shoes customised by Kreative Custom Kicks.

“Obviously, what Bruce Lee stood for in terms of unifying people, speaking on the collective harmony of everybody from different backgrounds, different races, but especially his Asian heritage,” Curry added after the loss to Atlanta on April 4.
    Jeremy Lin praises Curry for Bruce Lee shoe auction for Asian community
    6 Apr 2021

“I think he has a lot of quotes and just narratives and themes that he spoke on consistently that still ring true today, and I know his foundation is doing a lot to live that out and to impact people’s lives and continue to spark change.”
    The auction listing on Goldin Auctions confirmed that “100 per cent of the proceeds from this auction will go to charity in conjunction with the Bruce Lee Foundation to support victims of Asian-American violence”.

Curry’s US size 13 shoes feature an image of Lee and his family on the right shoe and an image of Lee alone on the left.

They also feature the Lee quote “Under the heavens, there is only family” while the black and yellow colourway is reminiscent of the Hong Kong-born martial arts superstar’s iconic Onitsuka Tiger shoes.
    The auction ended with a winning bid of US$51,000 from 15 total bids, the Goldin Auctions website said.
    Curry had said that he would also sign the shoes for the winning bidder at no extra cost.

The two-time NBA MVP was praised by Lee’s daughter Shannon and former Golden State Warriors teammate Jeremy Lin.
    “Respect,” Lin wrote on Twitter. “Man of God speaking out for others.”
    Curry’s season is now over after the Warriors lost in the NBA play-offs play-in tournament against the Memphis Grizzlies on Friday night (US time).

They had lost their previous play-in game to the NBA champion Los Angeles Lakers.

Jonathan White
    Jonathan White joined the Post in 2017 after a decade reporting on sport from China. He originally moved to Beijing to coach football in 2007 and later spent two years in Shanghai.
    threads
    Bruce-Lee-shoes
    Stop-Asian-Hate
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Bad buzz

‘Hard pass’: Netflix’s ‘Kate’ criticized for having a white protagonist who’s out to ‘kill Asians’
    Carl Samson

August 10, 2021

A number of social media users are saying no to a new action-adventure film from Netflix after learning that its white protagonist is headed for an Asian murder spree.

What’s it about: “Kate,” which releases on Sept. 10, centers on a “ruthless criminal operative” who was poisoned and left with less than 24 hours to exact revenge on her enemies. In the process, she forms an “unexpected bond” with the daughter of one of her past victims.

Mary Elizabeth Winstead, who received praises for her performance as Huntress in the film “Birds of Prey,” will play the lead role. As per Indie Wire, Netflix’s official synopsis states that Kate “uncharacteristically blows an assignment targeting a member of the yakuza in Tokyo,” which leads her to being poisoned.
    The film also stars Woody Harrelson as Kate’s handler. Other cast members include Miku Martineau, Tadanobu Asano, Michiel Huisman and Jun Kunimura.
    The action-adventure is helmed by French film director and visual effects artist Cedric Nicolas-Troyan. It is written by Umair Aleem and produced by Bryan Unkeless, Kelly McCormick and Patrick Newall, according to Entertainment Weekly.

What critics are saying: “Kate” has received more positive comments as of this writing, with many thrilled to see the involvement of Japanese rock band BAND-MAID and Winstead’s return in an action role. However, some laid out reasons why the film is problematic, and they’re all based on the idea that the lead character — a white person — is killing Asians.

One Twitter user accused the film of Asian fetishization: “Shame on Netflix for this. After this past year especially, to then release a film that is literally white people murdering Asian people based on stereotypes and fetishization??? Hard pass.”
    Another called out the presence of white lead characters in Asian settings: “Love Winstead. But stop putting white leads around Asian culture in an Asian city while every antagonist is Asian. And what’s Hollywood’s obsession with the Yakuza, like, ****.”
    Meanwhile, one simply wrote: “#StopAsianHate. That’s it. That’s the tweet.”
    threads
    Kate
    Stop Asian Hate
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Enraged

Opinion
    I'm Not Really Afraid Of Anti-Asian Hate And Racism. I'm Enraged.
    "Many of us Asian New Yorkers are afraid. But the emotion that rises in me is not crippling fear; it is un-****ing-adulterated rage."

"Here is my exhortation to America: Open up your myopic, microscopic vision of us and let us all in," the author writes.
    SOPA IMAGES VIA GETTY IMAGES

By Sophia Chang, VIP Guest Writer
    Mar. 31, 2022, 05:45 AM EDT | Updated an hour ago

I stared incredulously at the photo of GuiYing Ma in the hospital after she was bashed over the head with a large rock. There must be something wrong with this picture, I thought, because the right quadrant of her head was missing, almost as if it had melted — like a Dali. Surreal. My disbelief converted to ire when I saw my mother and ajummas in Ma’s beautiful white hair and wise wrinkles.
    I held my breath as I read of Christina Yuna Lee’s murder. Oh, no, not again, I thought. My consternation gave way to fury as I imagined my daughter walking to the train every morning, just a few short blocks from where Christina was killed.
    In the wake of the recent torrent of anti-Asian violence, many of us Asian New Yorkers are afraid. But the emotion that rises in me is not crippling fear; it is un-****ing-adulterated rage.
    Of course, I am not immune to the fear. Like all women, I live with the deeply internalized, incessant, insidious fear of assault. To paraphrase Margaret Atwood, “Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them.”
    Further, I am a petite Asian woman careening through middle age. Like many of my city sisters, I have developed hyper-peripheral vision. I don’t listen to music loudly on my headphones, and at night, I avoid desolate streets and watch the shadows of those behind me elongate on the sidewalk when streetlamps grant me the rearview. That said, 27 years of Shaolin Kung Fu training has resulted in my reflexes, physical awareness and instincts being sharper and more potent. Furthermore, to many, I appear like a man and am less likely to be targeted.
    Asian women make up almost 62% of the victims of reported attacks on our community, according to a study conducted by Stop AAPI Hate. It’s been just over a year since eight people were shot and killed in the Atlanta area — six of them Asian women. I still remember how my voice trembled with tears as I read out the names of the six Asian women who were murdered.
    My anguish morphed into anger when it was suggested that the murders were not racially motivated. I and my sisters knew better.

"In America, Asian women are sexually reduced to the extremes of two stereotypes: the submissive geisha or the dominating dragon lady," Chang writes. "There’s nothing wrong whatsoever if we are one or the other or both. My issue is that we are not allowed to be self-determining and self-defining."
    NATHAN CONGLETON/NBC/NBCU PHOTO BANK VIA GETTY IMAGES
    As of last spring, 81% of Asian adults surveyed by Pew Research Center said they believed violence against us is on the rise. According to NBC News, anti-Asian crime was up 339% in 2021 from 2020. And we should assume the numbers are far greater, as many crimes go unreported.
    Indubitably, the rise in violence against us was brought on by the abhorrent racist rhetoric around the coronavirus that granted gleeful permission for people to act out their racist fantasies against us. Remember the U.K. variant? Were people with British accents targeted? Hell ****ing no!
    But don’t get it twisted; Asians have faced racism and violence from the gate. As is the case with so many marginalized populations, the hatred is codified into law, thus undergirding the othering and fear of us — from the Page Act of 1875 to the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882 to the incarceration of Japanese Americans during World War II. Then there’s the MSG that enhances the hate recipe: the model minority myth, which gives everyone the impression that we’re all doing Gucci — taking their kids’ spots in the best schools, getting the top jobs, making the fattest checks.
    But not so fast, cowboy. In New York, almost 1 in 4 of us live below the poverty line. The model minority myth is particularly draconian because it pits yellow against Black. You know; divide and conquer. When the crimes started accumulating, many of the images I saw were of folx of color, particularly Black people, perpetrating the attacks. As it turns out, Janelle Wong, professor of American Studies at the University of Maryland, College Park, found that 75% of the crimes had been committed by white people. I believe that there have been perpetrators of color, and I do think that anti-Blackness, particularly in my community, accepted this narrative with a degree of facility. I can hold two truths simultaneously.
    I have long thought that one of my responsibilities is to bridge communities. As the first Asian woman in hip-hop who managed Ol’ Dirty ******* (RIP), RZA, and GZA of Wu-Tang Clan, then introduced them to a real-live Shaolin monk who would become my partner, I believe I have done a small part to create cross-cultural alliances. I was a fan of hip-hop when I moved to New York in ’87, but it was the community that embraced me.
    Though I point to government policies as enforcers of anti-Asianness, I can’t ignore the deleterious impact that the media has had on our safety. The eroticization, exoticization and fetishization of Asian women in this country ― aided and abetted by the largely white male leer of Hollywood — has surely exacerbated the attacks. When the Atlanta massage parlor murders occurred last March, there was a question as to whether or not they were racially motivated. I don’t believe that every assault against a marginalized person is a hate crime, but this was crystal ****ing clear to me.
    In America, Asian women are sexually reduced to the extremes of two stereotypes: the submissive geisha or the dominating dragon lady. There’s nothing wrong whatsoever if we are one or the other or both. My issue is that we are not allowed to be self-determining and self-defining. Many Asian women have been courted with such dulcet phrases as “Me love you long time” and “Is your ***** sideways?” I don’t even know what the **** that means. Aren’t all pussies sideways?! And if one more white boy tells me he had an insert-Asian nationality-here girlfriend, that he speaks insert-Asian-language-here, or that he studied insert-Asian-martial-art-here, I will summon all the Han of my Korean ancestors and asphyxiate him with red hot dukbokki.
    When I was writing my memoir, “The Baddest ***** In The Room,” my very smart brother Heesok Chang said, “Sophia, what you’re doing with your book is simply asking the world to imagine that you exist.” And here is my exhortation to America: Open up your myopic, microscopic vision of us and let us all in, and grant us the grace of being whatever the **** we want — even angry.

Sophia Chang
    Sophia Chang, VIP Guest Writer
    threads
    Sophia-Chang
    Stop-Asian-Hate
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Restoration

Community members show up to restore defaced ‘8 Immortals’ mural in Vancouver’s Chinatown
    Michelle De Pacina
    5 hours ago

Members of Vancouver’s Chinatown community reportedly lined up on East Georgia Street on April 16 to help restore the “Eight Immortals Crossing the Sea” mural that was defaced last month by graffiti taggers.
    Artists Sean Cao and Katharine Yi of the Bagua Artist Association organized the mural’s repair as a way to gather people through art and build a sense of community.
    The mural, which was meticulously painted onto the side of a two-story building of the Liang You Bookstore, was meant to promote cultural redress.
    The social event was supported by the City of Vancouver’s Chinatown Transformation Team, who is working to revitalize the community and combat anti-Asian racism.
    Community members of Vancouver’s Chinatown came together on Saturday to restore the “Eight Immortals Crossing the Sea” mural that was defaced last month by graffiti taggers.

Artists and volunteers lined up on East Georgia Street on Saturday afternoon with paint brushes in hand to cover up the over five-feet-high black letters graffitied across the mural.

Meticulously painted onto the side of a two-story building of the Liang You Bookstore, the mural was meant to represent the diversity of people throughout Chinatown’s history and to promote cultural redress. The painting was based on a Chinese folktale about eight immortals who use their unique powers to cross the East Sea.

The vandalism left mural artists Sean Cao and Katharine Yi of the Bagua Artist Association heartbroken. They organized the mural’s repair as a way to gather people through art and build a sense of community.

“Seeing this is very touching and people are so supportive,” Cao told Global News.

“It just means that all of us are standing together to make this community better, and to treasure our public cultural assets,” Yi said.

Terry Hunter, a volunteer who has lived in the neighborhood for 40 years, told CBC News, “When it’s damaged we all feel hurt, we all feel the pain and to be here today to heal the mural is really important. What we need is a sustained, coordinated effort to change the whole attitude about this neighborhood and what can and cannot be done here.”

“There is a sense of ownership, and so that’s where the community effort comes in,” a volunteer identified as “June” told Global News. “We need to turn it into not just being angry. It’s about action.”

The social event was supported by the City of Vancouver’s Chinatown Transformation Team, who is working to revitalize the community and combat anti-Asian racism.

City councilors including Sarah Kirby-Yung, Pete Fry and Lisa Dominato also attended the event. The city has said it will provide more funding to restore murals in Chinatown.

“In the future when people walk by, they can probably say, ‘Oh hey I contributed to that,’” Yi told Global News. “It becomes everyone’s, not just to the artists. It’s the community’s.”

Featured Image via @baguabagua
    threads
    8-Drunken-Immortals
    Stop-Asian-Hate
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Fake News

Babylon Bee is a conservative satire news site. Nevertheless I saw this on social media being propounded as news

Biden Welcomes BTS By Pulling Out His Phone And Playing 'Kung Fu Fighting'
    Celebs
    June 1st, 2022 - BabylonBee.com

WASHINGTON, D.C.—K-Pop music sensation BTS has been invited to the White House to discuss anti-Asian hate and discrimination. When the artists entered the oval office President Biden welcomed them by pulling out his phone and playing ‘Kung Fu Fighting’.

"Welcome to the White House my fellow Kung Fu fighters!" said the President while holding out his phone and pretending to karate chop the artists. "HOO! HUH! Gotcha there! You're gonna have to be quicker than that if you wanna block old Joe!"

The BTS members—also known as the Bangtan Boys—shuffled awkwardly and forced a smile as the President of the United States continued to bob his head up and down as he displayed his kung-fu moves.

“HIYAH!" shouted Biden still trying to get the band to respond. "What's the deal? I thought you people are supposed to love this music? C'mon now show me your moves—how else are you gonna stop people from discriminating against you?"

At publishing time, Biden tweeted out a selfie with the Bangtan Boys that has already been deleted that was captioned "The White House rejects racism against Asians. That's why I'm proud to stand by and fight back with the Bangkok Boys!"
    Everybody-was-Kung-Fu-Fighting-by-Carl-Douglas
    Stop-Asian-Hate
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jade Chocolates Teahouse and Cafe

Taking action in Chinatown: Chocolate shop trains employees in kung fu to combat theft and crime
    Photo of Elissa Miolene
    Elissa Miolene
    Aug. 20, 2022

Scott McTaggert, executive chef at Jade Chocolates, attends the cafe’s first kung fu class at San Francisco WingTsun in May.
    Elissa Miolene/The Chronicle

Mindy Fong shut the doors of Jade Chocolates Teahouse and Cafe at just past 5 p.m. on a weekday this spring. Fong had spent the day making chocolate, preparing pastries and serving tea. But now, she was leading her employees to a very different type of shift: their first all-staff kung fu class.

“It’s beneficial for everyone to know some self-defense,” Fong said. “I would hate for something to happen to them here just because they’ve gone to work.”

Fong decided to hold the classes in late March, after a string of robberies coincided with the cafe’s move from Inner Richmond to Chinatown. Fong was excited to move to the neighborhood, where her cafe’s Asian-inspired chocolates could find a cultural home. But immediately, it was clear to Fong that COVID-19, crime and anti-Asian hate had left their mark on the neighborhood.

“Every day, there’s something,” Fong said. “I’ve seen people being chased in the street because they’ve stolen something from the jewelry shops or camera shops.”

Robberies and assaults fell with overall crime rates in San Francisco during the pandemic, but retail break-ins in Union Square and other high-profile crimes may have made people feel less safe. And a series of assaults on Asian Americans has jolted those communities in particular.

In 2021, anti-Asian hate crimes spiked 567% in San Francisco, according to the city’s police department, with 60 attacks targeting people of Asian descent. Chinatown’s crime rate is below that of many parts of San Francisco. So far this year, the police department recorded fewer incidents in Chinatown than in 21 of the city’s 43 neighborhoods, including the Marina and Bernal Heights. But still, hate crimes against Asian residents loom large in residents’ minds.

A block from Jade Chocolates, a mural of Vicha Ratanapakdee - a 84-year-old Thai man who was pushed to the ground during his morning walk in January 2021, and died soon after - seems to watch over Grant Street. Justice for Vicha, the mural reads in big, block letters. #StandForAsians.

Compounded by that history is the day-to-day experience of business owners like Fong, who say they’ve heard of robberies happening in broad daylight, and brazen attacks against storefronts throughout the area. But still, moving back to Chinatown - a neighborhood her family called home for generations - was important to Fong.

“All of the theft and crime in Chinatown is not an obstacle for me,” Fong said. “It’s just one more thing we have to get over. We should be able to defend ourselves.”

Jade Chocolates’ executive chef, Scott McTaggert, has been practicing Wing Tsun - a style of Chinese kung fu focused on self defense - for the last six years. Instead of backing down to the crime, McTaggert and Fong thought they could use Wing Tsun to overcome it.

“Because I’m here in Chinatown with our staff and the crime rate is so high, I thought it would be advantageous to at least mention, hey, if anyone wants to learn some and get some training, this is available to you,” said McTaggert. “I will do everything I can do to make our employees feel safer and more empowered so they can live their lives without being afraid.”

At the end of May, Fong, McTaggert, and two other Jade employees - along with the daughters of two employees - headed to San Francisco WingTsun, the Chinatown-based studio where McTaggert usually practices. Joseph Mah, the head teacher of the studio, walked the employees through the practice’s foundations, coaching them through the proper movements to defend themselves. It was the first of many classes to come: Jade’s employees now hone their skills on the last Wednesday of every month.

“Hopefully, the self-defense program we’re going to establish here is just to know - not to use,” said Fong. “But if the day comes, they’ll be prepared.”

These classes are just the latest in a string of efforts to combat crime in Chinatown. According to Edward Siu, chair of the Chinatown Merchants United Association, business owners in the area are working together to reduce crime in their own ways. A WhatsApp group of 400 merchants, for example, now works as an alert system: If something happens in a shop, Siu said, a chain reaction is set off. That merchant texts the group and Siu contacts the police.

“We’re really working together, as merchants,” said Siu. “We want to make Chinatown better and get more business coming in.”

Elissa Miolene is a graduate student at Stanford University’s journalism school and a former intern with The Chronicle’s multimedia team. Twitter: @elissamio
    I almost wish the Tongs would come back and patrol...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

John Ong

NY man who claims self-defense in Chinatown katana slashing sentenced to prison

via FOX 5 New York
    By Ryan General
    7 days ago

An Asian American man has been sentenced to prison after using a katana blade to defend himself and his brother against a group of five men during a 2020 brawl in New York’s Chinatown.
    Key points:
    On Tuesday, a Manhattan court sentenced John Ong to two and a half years in prison and three years of supervised release for second-degree assault after a plea deal, reported ABC7’s CeFaan Kim. He originally faced a much steeper charge of attempted murder, which carries a potential sentence of 15 years.
    Max Ong received five years of probation with a criminal record after he plea-bargained for 2nd-degree assault. None of the other men involved were charged.
    Catch up:
    On Oct. 10, 2020, brothers John and Max Ong were involved in a violent altercation with a group of men who they confronted for urinating on their building.
    Video shows John Ong retrieving a katana blade and injuring one attacker in the forearm.
    The Ongs said they were acting in self-defense after being subjected to racial slurs and physical assault.
    The injured man’s family disputes the Ong brothers’ version of events.
    The details:
    The defense argued that the other men involved instigated the violence with racial slurs and physical attacks.
    Max claims he was severely beaten, noting that he blacked out after hearing his own skull cracking and ears ringing. One of the men reportedly threatened, “Get me my bag, I’m going to shank this (racial slur).” John then retrieved a katana blade, leading the men to initially retreat before continuing their attack.
    While the defense highlighted the injuries the brothers sustained, the prosecution argued John’s actions were excessive.
    A spokesperson for Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg told WABC that they concluded “there was no evidence to charge any other individual at the scene with criminal conduct.”
    On April 16, Chinatown residents and activists protested outside Bragg’s office. Advocates posit that the prosecution against the brothers demonstrates unfair treatment of Asian Americans defending themselves.
    Tangent:
    The incident occurred during the height of COVID-19 lockdowns, when anti-Asian hate crimes were surging.
    Bad Day for Samurai Wannabes
    Stop-Asian-Hate
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips