Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the major difference between Tai Chi Mantis and Seven star mantis?

shaolin mantis Guest

Taichi vs 7 star mantis

cha kuen,
    The reason Taichi Mantis Forms are so choppy is
    because it only takes 2 to 3 moves to execute and
    finish off a technique. The form is performed more
    like the actual application. This can be seen by
    comparing both the 7 star and taichi mantis 2 man
    Bong Bo forms. In the 7 star 2 man bong bo form,
    1 side is performed exactly like the single person
    Bong Bo while the opponent makes the moves to fit
    the single person side. In the Taichi mantis 2 man Bong Bo even the side performing the single person set has to be modified, so it looks different even though the basic form is still there. This is what I mean by more practical, there is no compromise in effectiveness in performing the techniques.

initiate Guest

Mantis 108 and Cha kuen

thank you both for the warm welcome. We are all very fortunate to be able to study this system.Mantis 108 I am of sifu Yen Hoa Ly's lineage. He is one of the chosen 12 and a very humble and highly skilled sifu. Cha kuen , it looks like a prayer hand but functionally it is a double hand block that slips down both of the opponents arms to the wrists in a pull down onto the right knee. I hope that makes sense. Again thank you both. Initiate.

cha kuen Guest
    I understand . That is the way I do my form. However, I see the application more than just a block and pull down. The reason the hands are together is because there is a double strike to the temple after you block. From there you can pull down. I say this because some tai mantis schools do nto have the prayer looking hand. They have their hands a few inches apart. The application for that would be a double block and pull down. I see the prayer hand as a double block and strike to the temple.

initiate Guest
    Iam not familiar with that application. My sifu showed me a few different applications stemming from that move depending on which leg is leading on the opponent. Would you explain it to me in a little more detail so I can visualize it? Thanx Initiate.

initiate Guest
    I was never shown that application, but it sounds interesting.I was going with the most general appl. I was shown.There were a few different ways to apply the move depending on whether the person was leading with a left or right leg. Thanks initiate.