Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts Deaths

Hybrid View

Wushu Death

I'm guessing this was a two-person wushu taolu accident. Can you imagine how Weerasinghe's partner feels.
    IC defends wushu student’s death
    By Ravi Nagahawatte
    The Sri Lanka Wushu Interim Committee has acknowledged the fact that the sport lost a promising player due to the death of Madura Weerasinghe at the trials to select the junior team to take part in the Asian Junior Wushu Championships in Indonesia.Interim Committee secretary Manel Dharmakeerthi quashed speculation which suggests that there were shortcomings in the manner in which the tournament was conducted.

Dharmakeerthi told The Nation that the tournament was conducted in accordance with the rules and regulations of wushu and that members of the Sports Ministry’s Medical Unit were present at the tournament. He said that the player was in the best of health throughout the tournament and he (the player) never gave the impression that he was weak.

“There is the element of danger in all sports. The element of risk in wushu is more because it is a martial art,” Dharmakeerhti said. According to Dharmakeerthi this is first death in a wushu national event both in Sri Lanka and in the world. The player who died of internal bleeding, Weerasinghe, was a student of Kaburawala Maha Vidyalaya, Matugama. Weerasinghe’s close associates, including his coach, are of the view that he was physically weak during the tournament. A past president of the Federation has charged that the death could have been avoided if the referee was more vigilant.

Dharmakeerthi however said that the player had signed and produced the participant’s certificate in which he had all the requirements to make himself eligible to take part in the tournament.
    Magisterial inquiry over “Wushu” death

(Colombo Lankapuvath November 08) Colombo Additional Magistrate Kumari Abeyratne yesterday (07) called for a comprehensive report on sports equipment and tools which were in use at the Inter school Wushu competition in which Madura Weerasinghe a young student of Kamburawala Maha Vidyalaya, Baduraliya took part.

The additional magistrate made this order at the magisterial inquiry into the death of Madura Weerasinghe during the competition at the Sports Ministry Indoor stadium.

The death was due to extensive haemorrhage following an accidental blow by a blunt tool declared the Additional Magistrate.

It was pointed out by the magistrate that such tragic incidents occur during sports competitions and announced that she was convinced that there has been no personal grudge between the two competitors.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The death was due to extensive haemorrhage following an accidental blow by a blunt tool declared the Additional Magistrate.
    sparring set went terribly wrong?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Sounds like someone got a waxwood stick upside the knoggin.

Ouch....
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    Sounds like someone got a waxwood stick upside the knoggin.
    i once hit myself in the left temple swinginging around a waist high 21 lb iron bar... i still wonder about the repurcussions of this particular incident.

video???????????
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    i once hit myself in the left temple swinginging around a waist high 21 lb iron bar... i still wonder about the repurcussions of this particular incident.
    posting on KFMF?

I think you misunderstood me, SPJ

I don't advocate making padded weapons or protective gear for two-person weapon forms. Quite the opposite. While I certainly feel that what happened to Weerasinghe is tragic, enforcing safety measures on forms isn't the solution. That emasculates forms practice even more. After all, this is martial arts. If it was totally safe, it wouldn't be genuine. User assumes all risks.

I think Weerasinghe's death was a freak accident. If you enacted safety standards for every freak accident, we wouldn't be able to do anything.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Dave
    Eagle Belt - look out!!!!

I attempted to do a Tao Bo movement with a 3 Sectional Staff without proper insturction. Well I was found unconcious by my sifu with blood dripping down my head.

Scared to death for almost a month but then took the old addage and got back on the horse. Today I'm the only one who does this movement regularly as part of the set.

Worse pain ever until I started Arnismy fingers till ache.

i was once playing with a broadsword and crescent knife, i undercompensated brushing the knee with the knife in hand, cut thru my sash, cargo pants, sweat pants, and kneecap... stitched it back together myself with a pair of pliers, a sewing needle, thread, a beer cap(thimble), and a six pack...

i saw two men doing a set. one guy had a slegehammer. and the guy forgot to duck. well lets say they cut it short cause of all the blood coming out of his head and he was rushed to hospital.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

staff application with the senior student, and my roomate at the time. Brokeded his finger. The next time we did staff application. he snaped mine.

alls fair i suppose. these are the things we can look back on and laugh at.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I broke my pinky holding a board. For some reason the aikido instructor decided to show some some kid how to break a board with a side kick, and enlisted my aid. AIKIDO instructor . He didn't hit anywhere near the middle and broke my distal phalanx.

I broke some poor kids tooth who was holding a board for me. I had him hold it one handed. The bottom half broke off and flew up into his face.

I broke a nose and got my nose broken empty hand sparring.

I slammed my shin with a metal staff.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Deaths in Chinese/Martial Arts Competitions

There’s sad news from martial arts in China. Kungfu fighter Shangguan Pengfei died on Monday, after spending 42 days in a coma. The 23 year-old was hospitalized after a match in October, and questions came up immediately, about the dangers related to this well-known combat sport.

On October the 31st, 2011, in the city of Haikou, Hainan province, Shangguan Pengfei took on Cui Fei in the semifinal of China Kungfu King Championships.
    Original here:
    http://english.cntv.cn/program/sport...6/109385.shtml

Martial Arts Deaths

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I seldom hear of deaths in the martial arts. I feel that martial arts are generally safe. I'm starting this thread just to test my theory. If I'm right, it'll lay fairly dormant.
    GeneChing , it ' s too baf that these people all died doing what they love to do ,
    wheather if it ' s sports or martial arts in general . But , when you first sign up for these activities wheater if it ' s for any kind of sports in general or martial arts of any type in general , don ' t they say check with your doctor first or have the doctor sign an approval for you to participate in these activities ?

And just incase something really did go wrong , the organizers or sponsors of these activities , they ' re suppose to have a team of certified or license physicians , and ambulance with certified peramedics and Emergency medical technicians , to prevent anything from happening to any participants . I would think that the sponsors or organizers of these events would protect themselves from any lawsuits that might take place .

That way the partipants would know if they really should think twice before participating in these activities . If you go to the doctor for check up , then you have an idea if your really that healthy or not . If you don ' t go to the doctor , then how would you really know if you ' re healthy or not ? Or just a walking time waiting to drop dead or not ? I personally myself go to the doctor every 6 months for regular check up so far I got cholestoral , I ' m on lipitor for cholestroal , and I also have to watch my glucose too . Other than that I try to walk everyday and weight train to help burn the fat and calories in my body .

I do admit though that there ' re junk and good doctors , so if you think that the doctor you have now is junk or no t so good , then do your own research and change doctors .