Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragon-Lung Ying Chin-Na/Grappling?

Dragon-Lung Ying Chin-Na/Grappling?

I don't know much about the style. I've seen 2 of the vids that Grandmaster Yip Wing Hong produced and was very impressed. He's a fighter for sure!

The diagonal footwork as well as the Z shaped fists are impressive.

Does Lung Ying have any Chin-Na as part of the sets/forms?

Anyone? Thanks

yes it does

Yes, hard to believe, but all style of Chinese martial arts possess qinna (seize, control) and shuai (throwing-down) skills; even though the shifu may or may not know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulong View Post
    Yes, hard to believe, but all style of Chinese martial arts possess qinna (seize, control) and shuai (throwing-down) skills; even though the shifu may or may not know it.
    if your sifu doesn't know it, your style doesn't have it.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

David,

Do you mean the shifu's (own) style? Pardon me, for stating, but all style have a certain level of qinna; however, not all shifu are aware of the qinna of their particular system. (Sadly, I have experience this in the past.)

Smile

Lung Ying is primarily a striking style. The focus is not on grappling. There are take down and such moves but it's not done in the sense of Chin Na. If it is taught, it's more along the line of "self defense". In other words, it is street oriented basic grab, counter and/or escape. Nothing elaborate as far as I am aware.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

All kf styles? Hmmm..

Doesn't the Chin-Na/ Shuai concepts go philosophically against the underpinnings of the way some styles look at fighting?(ie: Wing Chun).

I believe that WC has only one grab(larp sao? I forget). I've read that Wing Chun people don't believe in grabbing since they feel it is inefficient(ie: that the grabbing hand sets up for being hit by the opponents free hand).

My response isn't to open a can of worms or start an argument, but there are some styles I've never seen any Chin-na in..

Quote Originally Posted by LaterthanNever View Post
    All kf styles? Hmmm..

Doesn't the Chin-Na/ Shuai concepts go philosophically against the underpinnings of the way some styles look at fighting?(ie: Wing Chun).

I believe that WC has only one grab(larp sao? I forget). I've read that Wing Chun people don't believe in grabbing since they feel it is inefficient(ie: that the grabbing hand sets up for being hit by the opponents free hand).

My response isn't to open a can of worms or start an argument, but there are some styles I've never seen any Chin-na in..
    outside of WC most Kung Fu styles have a Chin-na style and some basic trips/throws.

WC isn't like most styles of Kung fu, they don't have lion dance, dragon, many weapons, allot of forms ect... its really not what people consider as a "Kung fu System".

Yongchun does have qinna...

I’m starting to see some individuals see CMA within a first-dimensional, i.e., length/strike, and a second-dimensional levels, i.e., width/block; however, wherever there is a circular motion you now have enter a third-dimensional level, i.e., space/controlling-throwing, possibility.

Even though you may have not been taught that a post strike/upper-cut (jongchui) can be used in executing a throw or for a break, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. For example, liquan (standing fist) is the primary strike used in yongchunquan can also be used to seize an opponent’s throat, i.e., qinna.

[FONT="Georgia"]I’m starting to see some individuals see CMA within a first-dimensional, i.e., length/strike, and a second-dimensional levels, i.e., width/block; however, wherever there is a circular motion you now have enter a third-dimensional level, i.e., space/controlling-throwing, possibility......
    Let's not be forgetting that 4th dimension........

Are you referring to time?

Are you referring to time?

Good guess........

Yes.

Have you now experiment with fifth, i.e., distance?

Have you now experiment with fifth, i.e., distance?
    Nah!
    I figure that would be subsumed under your earlier dimensions.

In any case, my own standard for most things in TCMA is:

"You gotta be close enough to hit the guy!"

(alternate meaning: there's not a lot of "distance" to mess about with)