PDA

View Full Version : 2 Styles or 1?

Martial Joel
11-02-2005, 02:44 PM
I'm looking for a style, again.

I want a fast style with kicks and punches, low and high. However, straight away i thought Wing Chun, but i want to be acrobatic and very flexible also. Are there any styles that are fast and acrobatic, (by acrobatic i mean; backflips and frontflips, and being able to use my surroundings to get out of tight situations).

I've looked but can't really think of anything, some people say Choy Li Fut is a flexible and fast style, but i'm not sure.

Would i have to learn a combat based fighting system such as Tae Kwon Doe, or any form of Kung-Fu and Gymnastics/Acrobatics, like two arts at once, or is there one style that can teach all.

Thanks
Joel

Wong Fei Hong
11-02-2005, 03:30 PM
Tae bo ?
or maybe capoeira ?

Becca
11-02-2005, 03:37 PM

I want a fast style with kicks and punches, low and high. However, straight away i thought Wing Chun, but i want to be acrobatic and very flexible also. Are there any styles that are fast and acrobatic, (by acrobatic i mean; backflips and frontflips, and being able to use my surroundings to get out of tight situations).

I've looked but can't really think of anything, some people say Choy Li Fut is a flexible and fast style, but i'm not sure.

Would i have to learn a combat based fighting system such as Tae Kwon Doe, or any form of Kung-Fu and Gymnastics/Acrobatics, like two arts at once, or is there one style that can teach all.

Thanks
Joel
Wing Chun has it's share of "gymnastics". So do most othe styles of Kung Fu. Though be warned, They may not start you off from the begining with anything more Acrobatice then cart wheels and run of the mill summersaults.

I agree with WFH that capoeira would also be a good one, but Tai Bo is just your basic kick boxing set to music.

joedoe
11-02-2005, 04:03 PM
Why don't you try out what is available to you in the local area and see what you like, rather than trying to find something with specific attributes. You can never hope to guess what kinds of art will prepare you for any given self defence situation since the possibilities are endless and no art has it all. Just find something you enjoy and train hard.

SPJ
11-02-2005, 08:18 PM
Yes, be practical and realistic.

Whatever it is available and make the best of it.

When I was in high school, there are karate club, tkd club and Kuo Shu club.

I was not able to attend due to class schedules. Luckily, some teachers offered me some private and individual time.

One step at a time.

One style at a time, too.

Gentle Warrior
11-02-2005, 11:10 PM
You might want to look into Fanziquan.... they're usually included in some wushu curriculum, so you can expect some acrobatics to supplement it.

Thanks
Joel

fiercest tiger
11-02-2005, 11:32 PM
Do you have any Drunken style near you? Serioulsy it is good flexabilty and is softer then alot fo the fast external arts so i think that is worth looking at, not the wushu type though..

FT:)

IronFist
11-02-2005, 11:56 PM

Thanks
Joel

While we're on this subject, can someone name some styles that are not fast, don't require flexibility, and are not efficient or combat-based?

Samurai Jack
11-03-2005, 01:17 AM
While we're on this subject, can someone name some styles that are not fast, don't require flexibility, and are not efficient or combat-based?

I Chuan, most "health based" Tai Chi Chuan, most Chi-Kung styles.

ChinoXL
11-03-2005, 02:34 AM
capoeira man.. check it out.. capoeira is exactily what you're looking for

Mortal1
11-03-2005, 10:00 AM
I would train sport wushu specifically Fanzi quan. Im' suprised this hasn't been mentioned yet. Then again with the low opinion of wushu on this site I guess I'm not suprised.

Gentle Warrior
11-03-2005, 10:53 AM
You might want to look into Fanziquan.... they're usually included in some wushu curriculum, so you can expect some acrobatics to supplement it.

*cough* :p

PlumDragon
11-03-2005, 11:13 AM
We can talk about what styles we think you should take all day long. But I think whats more important is what is available to you...

Tell us what is in yoru area, and include web links if possible, and Im sure you will get plenty of assessment of how each school ranks up.

Martial Joel
11-04-2005, 10:33 AM
Okay dudes, here is one school that is not too far away, it's wing chun and his lineage goes back to the founder Ng Mui, and every year he goes and trains with Ip Chun, one of the great Yip Man's Sons. http://www.wingchun.co.uk/index_1.htm

Mortal1
11-04-2005, 10:51 AM
DOH! :o I have to start reading a little more carefully.